Welcome to the fourth and final week of our DIY ornament journey for our Felt Advent Calendar! It seems the magic of the winter holidays has brought out a few fantastical friends to help us finish decorating - fierce dragons, lovely mermaids, along with some fluffy yetis are here to bring a little magic into your craft room.
And of course, we can’t leave the top of the tree bare! Our magical friends have found a bright star that’s perfect for our final ornament.
Follow along with these printable templates and easy step-by-step instructions to complete your advent ornament collection – they are sure to bring a smile to your face every year!
- Premium Wool Blend Craft Felt
- Embroidery Floss
- Fabric Marker
- Fabric and/or Precision Scissors
- Fabric Glue
- Small Yellow Beads
- Mini White Beads
- Decorative Beads
- PDF Template
1. Download and print the PDF template (optional) and cut out your stencils.
2. Using your stencils and a fabric marker, trace out your template onto the corresponding felt colors and cut the shapes out using fabric or precision scissors.
3. Using your fabric glue, layer and glue the pieces together following your template. Set aside for the glue to dry.
4. Once your glue is dry, grab your ornament pieces and a sheet of felt for the background – we used white felt for the ornaments to pop. Place one of your ornament pieces onto the felt sheet, and with your fabric marker, trace out a rough background shape that is slightly bigger than your ornament. You will need two of these pieces. Continue this step for the rest of your ornaments.
5. Before we glue the ornament pieces onto the backgrounds, feel free to add any additional details. For example, we sewed on small yellow beads for the Dragon's eyes and Star details, the mini white beads for the Mermaid and Yeti, as well as some small decorative beads for the Unicorns mane. We also created additional details with our embroidery floss for the Gnome, Mermaid, and Unicorn.
6. Using your fabric glue, layer and glue the ornaments onto one of your background pieces. Set aside for the glue to dry. Continue this step for the rest of your ornaments.
7. Once the glue is dried, grab your duplicate background piece and blanket stitch your pieces together. We used embroidery floss in colors that match our magical friends to give the pieces more pop and contrast.
8. When you are close to fully stitching your ornament all around, grab bits of your stuffing and stuff the ornaments. This will give them more dimension and make them nicer to handle.
9. Complete your blanket stitch and you’re done!
Since we have made these for our Felt Advent Calendar, we also attached the other half (softer side) of the Hook and Loop/Velcro coin to the back side of our ornaments.
We invite you to share your thoughts on this process, questions, comments or tips and tricks. Don’t forget to show off your creations by tagging us on social media. We love seeing what our customers come up with.