This week we’ve traded our craft room for a kitchen! Our newest batch of DIY felt ornaments are all about food. These colorful treats will look delicious on your Felt Advent Calendar and are just as fun to make as the real thing. Use our simple pre-designed PDF template or create your own spread of felt sweets to decorate your tree.
The easy to follow, step-by-step process will work for any kind of ornament you wish to make. Let’s get cooking!
- Premium Wool Blend Craft Felt
- Embroidery Floss
- Fabric Marker
- Fabric and/or Precision Scissors
- Fabric Glue
- Small Red Beads
- PDF Template
1. Download and print the PDF template (optional) and cut out your stencils.
2. Using your stencils and a fabric marker, trace out your template onto the corresponding felt colors and cut the shapes out using fabric or precision scissors.
3. Using your fabric glue, layer and glue the pieces together following your template. Set aside for the glue to dry.
4. Once your glue is dry, grab your food pieces and a sheet of felt for the background – we used white felt for the ornaments to pop. Place one of your food pieces onto the felt sheet, and with your fabric marker, trace out a rough background shape that is slightly bigger than your ornament. You will need two of these pieces. Continue this step for the rest of your ornaments.
5. Before we glue the food pieces onto the backgrounds, feel free to add any additional details. For example, we sewed on small red beads for the gingerbread gum drops and created additional details using white embroidery floss for the gingerbread man and the ice cream cone.
6. Using your fabric glue, layer and glue the food piece onto one of your background pieces. Set aside for the glue to dry. Continue this step for the rest of your ornaments.
7. Once the glue is dried, grab your duplicate background piece and blanket stitch your pieces together. We used embroidery floss in colors that match our food designs to give the pieces more pop and contrast.
8. When you are close to fully stitching your ornament all around, grab bits of your stuffing and stuff the ornaments. This will give them more dimension and make them nicer to handle.
9. Complete your blanket stitch and you’re done!
Since we have made these for our Felt Advent Calendar, we also attached the other half (softer side) of the Hook and Loop/Velcro coin to the back side of our ornaments.
We invite you to share your thoughts on this process, questions, comments or tips and tricks. Don’t forget to show off your creations by tagging us on social media. We love seeing what our customers come up with.