What else would you need to collect your Valentine's cards and candies than your very own Love Bug Chair Backer?
Our Love Bug has two pockets: a larger one for your cards and a smaller one for your candy. Or, if you're like us, the larger one will be used for candy! It attaches easily to the back of most chairs and can be used at school, at home, or at the office.
Quick, easy to make, and using minimal supplies, this Love Bug is the perfect way to celebrate Valentine's Day (especially since it falls on a week day this year).
1. Cut out the pieces from the Love Bug Chair Backer Template. Trace the larger heart on the Red Viscose Felt Sheet, the smaller heart on the Pink Viscose Felt Sheet, and the backing (with head) and straps on the Black Viscose Felt Sheet. Cut out the shapes from the felt with the fabric scissors. You can also switch up the colors to add some extra personality to your Love Bug!
2. With your embroidery floss and embroidery needle sew a line up the middle of your large red heart. This will mark the wing split for the Love Bug. We used a chain stitch for this step (you can find a great tutorial on Snapguide).
3. Sew your smaller pink heart in the center of your larger read heart with the embroidery floss and embroidery needle. Make sure to leave the top of the pink heart open for pocket access. If you do not want it to be a second pocket, you can sew it completely shut. We used a whip stitch for this step (you can find a great tutorial from Apartment Therapy).
4. Use a tape measure or length of embroidery floss to measure the straps for your chair. To do this, wrap the tape measure or string around the top of the chair where you would like the Love Bug to attach. Remember to overlap by 1 to 2 inches so that you have enough space to attach the Velcro strips. Next, cut the two straps from Step 1 to the length you need using the fabric scissors.
5. Sew the middle of the straps using the embroidery floss and embroidery needle onto the backing you cut out from the Black Viscose Felt Sheet in Step 1. We positioned the straps at the widest part of the backing and used a back stitch for this step (you can find a great tutorial from Apartment Therapy).
6. Position your Velcro strips onto the straps and glue them in place using the hot glue gun, or you can sew them in place instead.
7. Using the embroidery floss and embroidery needle sew the black backing to the larger red heart. Ensure the straps on the black backing piece and the pink heart on the larger red heart are facing out. Make sure to leave the top open for pocket access. We used a blanket stitch for this step (you can find a great tutorial from Apartment Therapy).
8. Add the finishing touches! We embroidered a cute face onto our Love Bug using the embroidery floss and embroidery needle. We used a chain stitch for this step (you can find a great tutorial on Snapguide). We also used the hot glue gun to glue antennas onto our Love Bug using one of the pipe cleaners. We glued the other pipe cleaner down the middle of the black backing (in the back) to add extra support.
Your Love Bug is now ready to place on the back of your chair! If you would like to be extra sweet this Valentine's Day, fill the smaller pocket with candies so your card-givers get an extra treat when they drop off your cards.
Did you create your own? We would love to see. Tag The Felt Store on social media and/or use the hashtag #thefeltstore to show us your creation!