Are you searching for something cozy and cute to keep you and your loved ones looking super sweet this February? Don't want Jack Frost nipping at your ears? Look no further! This DIY Felt Heart-Shaped Earmuff tutorial is simple to follow and can be personalized in any way you'd like. This style of earmuff does not utilize headbands, so no need to worry about aches from it being too-tight!
Wool felt is the perfect material for earmuffs – it keeps the heat in and protects your ears from the cold winter air. Plus, wool is naturally water resistant so melting snow will not soak into the fabric.
- Premium Wool Blend Craft Felt or 100% Wool Craft Felt
- Embroidery thread
- Fabric scissors
- Hand-sewing needles
- Ribbon or elastic
- PDF Earmuff Pattern Template
- SVG Earmuff Pattern
- Computerized cutting machine, i.e. Cricut Maker
- 4mm white round pearl beads
- 1cm wide gathered lace
- Faux fur
- Download our PDF Earmuff Pattern Templates. You can print the PDF template on regular printer paper and cut it out with scissors, or you can download the SVG files for the Cricut Maker.
- Trace and cut out the felt pieces for the earmuffs. You should have four (4) hearts and two (2) ear curves. Plus any extra felt decoration pieces you would like to add to your earmuffs.
- Sew the ear cuff and one layer of the earmuff base together using a blanket stitch. Make sure to sew one left and one right earmuff and not two of the same.
Check to see if the earmuff fits comfortably on your ears – you can always trim the ear cuff piece to the desired size.
- Measure out the ribbon or elastic you want to connect the two earmuffs to. The connecting ribbon or elastic should sit comfortably around your neck – no need to make it hug your head.
At the bottom point of the hearts, slip your ribbon or elastic in between the first and second layer. For added strength you can add a little drop of fabric glue to the ribbon or elastic.
- Before you sewing the layers together, let’s decorate your earmuff! For the left side we used a smaller heart surrounded by white pearl beads, matching our Heart Shaped Earrings. On the right, we used white thread to surround the smaller heart with added french knots.
- Stitch the two base layers together making sure to sandwich the ribbon or elastic in between, connecting the left and right earmuffs.
And you are finished! Head outside to enjoy your cute and cozy Felt Earmuffs, or wrap them up for that special someone. There are so many ways to decorate this pattern and make it truly your own – we cannot wait to see what you come up with! Make sure to share pictures of your amazing creations and tag us at @the_felt_store.