Are you planning to host a dinner party this season? Why not add some new décor or color accents to your table setting with these soft, 100% wool felt napkin rings! These are so easy to make and are a great way to use up any scraps you may have on hand or have picked up from our Felt Remnant Sales! Let’s dive in and make some table décor!
- Felt scraps
- 3mm thick 100% Wool Designer Felt in Earth Tones
- Embroidery floss
- 2mm fabric elastic cord
- Metal snaps
- Sewing thread
- Fabric scissors or utility knife
- Choose your colors for your felt, threads and buttons. Next, cut out a strip for your napkin ring that is approximately 2” x 8”, and another strip for your accent (optional) that is 0.5” x 6.5”. This shorter piece will account for the overlap. I’m using 3mm thick 100% Wool Designer Felt in Sky Blue, White, and Earth Apple Green.
- Sew on the button to one end of the accent strip. Cut 1.5” of elastic and sew onto one end of the napkin ring strip.
- Place the accent strip in the centre of the larger napkin ring so that the end of the accent strip that does not have the button is aligned to where the elastic loop is (it will sit on top to hide it). Using a running stitch, or whip stitch, sew along the top & bottom of the accent strip on to the napkin ring. Done!
Another way to do this is with snap closures, as they offer a very easy method of opening and closing the napkin rings. In this example, I used a blanket stitch around the whole thing to add some texture and detail.
- Cut out a rectangle that is 2” x 8”.
- Blanket stitch around the perimeter of the rectangle.
- Sew the snaps on with a needle and thread approximately 1” away from the edge. One snap will be going on the underside since the other snap will be coming from above to snap closed.
- Choose a button and sew on the other side of where the “top” snap is. Done!
If you have any questions regarding a specific product used in this article, please contact a customer service representative by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1-866-757-3358.