Come spread a little sweetness with us as we whip up a delicious donut headpiece! Our crafting kitchen is ready to teach you how to make a gourmet costume with this simple step-by-step tutorial. Good for beginners and heavy-duty crafters alike.
This treat is perfect as a quick DIY Halloween costume, and can be as colorful and creative as you want to make it!
- Premium Wool Blend Craft Felt
- Sewing Thread
- Embroidery Thread
- Fabric Glue
- 1-inch Elastic Bands
- Clamps or Sewing Pins
- PDF Template
Note: PDF Template download uses tabloid paper due to the size of the donut stencil. Below is a list of sizes included in the PDF Template file. Check our size guide to find your perfect fit.
- Children aged 7-12
- Children aged 5-7
1. Download the PDF template, then print and cut out your stencils for the donut.
2. Grab the felt you will be using for your primary donut color, and fold it in half, top edge to bottom edge. Then fold it in half again from left edge to right edge.
3. Place your donut 1/4 stencil on the folded piece of felt lining the edges to the folded sides of the felt. Trace out the donut stencil with your fabric marker and cut with fabric scissors. You will need two donut bases for this project.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the frosting on your chosen felt color. You will only need one frosting piece for this project.
5. Fasten the felt frosting piece to one of the donut bases using pins or clamps, and sew in place.
6. Grab your other donut base, and sew the elastic bands in place.
For this step, we created a 'T' band so that the weight of the stuffed donut will not slide out of place when worn. We recommend to line the band with your temples so that it rests comfortably on your ears, stopping it from sliding. This step will require some measuring/testing to get the placement just right.
If you would like to make the elastic bands adjustable, you can sew on bra hooks and eyes where you would like the adjustments.
7. Grab your two donut base pieces and stack together so that the frosting is hidden and when sewn, the donut inside out.
8. Sew the two donut pieces together along the outer edge.
9. Cut out little triangles around the circle. This step will make it easier to turn the headgear right side out without bunching.
10. Flip the donut right side out so that the frosting and elastic bands are visible.
11. Glue or hand-stitch your decorations onto the frosting of the donut. We went with regular sprinkles but feel free to get creative!
12. Once the glue has dried, carefully sew the inner edge of the donut leaving two openings on opposite ends. Due to the size of the headgear, having two openings at opposite ends will help distribute the stuffing easily.
13. Once sewn, start stuffing your donut through one of the two openings, and distribute evenly. Sew the gap closed and continue to add stuffing through the other opening. Once completely stuffed, sew the opening shut by hand stitching. You’re done!
Pair this fashionable gourmet donut headpiece with a plain white outfit and a splash of color, or go all out by adding extra sprinkles everywhere! The best part, once you're done your Halloween festivities, use your plush donut as a pillow for some quiet time - the best of both worlds.
We invite you to share your thoughts and works on this process, questions, comments or tips and tricks. Don’t forget to show off your creations with #thefeltstore on social media. We love seeing the creations our customers come up with.